Lodge your Partner Visa

The smart, affordable way

We'll guide you through the process step by step without the high costs of using a migration lawyer

Rofia Mavaddat Registered Migration Agent

What people are saying

How it works

How The Partner Visa Academy Works

How it works

How The Partner Visa Academy Works

Why choose the Partner Visa Academy?

  • Expert Guidance, Fraction of the Cost
  • Personalised Document Checklist and Strategy
  • Detailed Explanation of the Process Step by Step
  • Ongoing Support throughout the Process
  • Full Review with Actionable Feedback

Who we are

Back in 2019 we set up The Partner Visa Academy to help all couples who are in love but separated by distance and circumstance, to assist and teach them how to manage their own partner visa application...

Emma Drynan

Founder of the Partner Visa Academy

MARN 0960361

Rofia Mavaddat

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 1467678

Joanne Cotton-Odgaard

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 1679914

Pricing Plan

Having your Partner Visa application reviewed by a professional ensures accuracy and compliance, providing peace of mind and maximising your chances of a successful outcome without delays.

What's Included?

  • 120 day access to The Partner Visa Academy
  • 1 hour evidence planning session
  • Individual evidence checklist
  • Ongoing support via "Office Hours"
  • Full review of your application before you lodge



Simple One off payment 


No hidden fees or surprises

Have More Questions? We're Here to Help

The Partner Visa Academy is not for everyone

It’s important to know that while The Partner Visa Academy is ideal for standard Partner Visa applications, it’s not suitable for complex cases. So, if you or your partner have health issues or a criminal history, if the sponsor has sponsored someone previously, or if the applicant has ever had issues with existing visas (like non-compliance that resulted in them having to leave Australia), then you may want to hand this over to the professionals. Either way, best to get started by booking an Intro Session with us.

The Intro Session will help you determine if the Partner Visa Academy is for you.

Not suitable if you have:

  • Health issues
  • Criminal history
  • Previously sponsored
  • Existing visa issue

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Partner Visa?

A Partner Visa is a potential visa pathway for couples who are in a de-facto or spousal relationship. Applicants must be sponsored by a partner who is either an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or Eligible New Zealand Citizen. Sponsors must be over 18 years of age.

A Partner Visa allows you to enter and live in Australia with your partner.

A Partner Visa may also be called a de-facto visa, marriage visa, or fiance visa. It can be obtained by any monogamous couple that meets the eligibility criteria. This includes those who identify as LGBTQ+.

Partner Visas can involve multiple stages or visas. Depending on your circumstances the process may vary between 1 and 3 stages from the time you lodge your initial application until you obtain permanent residency.

What are the four pillars of a partner visa?

When the Department of Home Affairs assesses your relationship they will look at what’s often referred to as “The Four Pillars of Evidence.” These are

1. Financial Aspects of your relationship

The Department of Home Affairs will want to see how you and your partner share and manage your financial responsibilities. Examples of documents to provide can be

  • Joint bank statements
  • Wills
  • Joint loans and leases

2. The Nature of your Household

The Department of Home Affairs will want to see how you and your partner share household chores and responsibilities. Examples of documents to provide can be

  • Household bills
  • Mail sent to your joint address
  • Joint responsibility for any children
  • Statements about how you share your household chores

3. Social Aspects of your relationship

The Department of Home Affairs will want to see how you present your relationship and whether it's known to others. Examples of documents to provide can be

  • Photographs
  • Witness statements
  • Joint invitations
  • Joint travel

4. Nature of your Commitment

The Department of Home Affairs will want to see how you and your partner rely on each other and whether you view your relationship as one to continue long-term. Examples of documents to provide can be

  • Relationship statements detailing the level of emotional and physical support you provide to one another
  • Any long-term arrangements made to care for the other such as superannuation beneficiary documentation, wills, and life insurance policies

The Department of Home Affairs will assess your application and evidence as a whole. The documents you should provide will depend on your individual circumstances. This is why, at The Partner Visa Academy, you will have an Evidence Planning Session with a Registered Migration Agent to make sure you have a tailored approach to your application.

Do I need witnesses for my Partner Visa?

You will need your witnesses to provide a letter of support, statutory declaration, or Form 888 for your Partner Visa application. Depending on the background of your relationship, it may be recommended you provide anywhere from 2 to 6 witness statements.

What is the processing time for a Partner Visa?

Processing times vary greatly and are dependent on a number of factors. One of these factors is which visa you have applied for.

Processing times are currently between 6 and 33 months for a Subclass 820 Partner Visa, 4 and 30 months for a Subclass 309 Partner Visa, and 5 and 35 months for a Subclass 300 Prospective Marriage Visa.

There are a number of other factors which can help speed up the processing of your application such as:

  • Putting together a professional application that is presented in a way that makes it easy for the Department of Home Affairs to make the decision quickly
  • Ensuring all relevant documents are provided at time of lodgement
  • Ensuring all forms are completed in full
  • Responding to any requests from Immigration as soon as possible

Which is the best Partner Visa to apply for?

This will depend on your circumstances and your location at the time your application is lodged. There are three different types of Partner Visa pathways.

  • The Subclass 820/801 Partner Visa; Also known as “Onshore Partner Visa”
  • The Subclass 309/100 Partner Visa; Also known as the “Offshore Partner Visa”
  • The Subclass 300 Prospective Marriage Visa; Also known as the “Fiance Visa”

Depending on your intentions, your relationship history, and your location, you may find that one option is more suitable than the other.

As an example, if you are inside Australia on a substantive visa and you and your partner have been living together for over 12 months, you may be suitable for a subclass 820 visa.

If your partner is overseas and will be overseas when you lodge the application, then you may be eligible for a subclass 309 visa.

What is the eligibility criteria for a Partner Visa?

Depending on which Partner Visa you apply for the eligibility criteria can vary slightly. These are the general eligibility criteria for a subclass 820/801 or 309/100 visa.

  • You must be 18 years or older
  • You must married or in a de-facto relationship with an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand Citizen
  • Your sponsor must not be prohibited from sponsoring you
  • Your sponsor must be 18 years of age
  • You must demonstrate your relationship is genuine and continuing
  • You must meet health and character criteria

What are the Partner Visa application forms?

There are both essential and nonessential forms to complete for a Partner Visa application. For your application to be valid, you (the applicant) must complete and lodge an electronic Form 47SP. Your sponsor must then complete their sponsorship form, which is the electronic Form 40SP. You may also need to complete a character assessment form and there are also certain forms for your witnesses to complete in support of the visa application. A list of forms you may need to complete are below.

How much does a Partner Visa cost?

The fee for lodging a Partner Visa or Prospective Marriage Visa is currently $8,850AUD, but this typically increases each financial year. There are additional fees if you wish to include a dependent child or if you are lodging a Subclass 820 Partner Visa after your Subclass 300 visa is granted.

There are also other costs to consider when considering a Partner Visa such as visa medicals, police checks, official translation of documents, flights, and being able to support yourself in Australia if there are periods where you cannot work (for example, while waiting on a Bridging Visa). This is why it’s important to get advice before you start so you can budget properly for the full costs of applying for a Partner Visa

What evidence do I need for a Partner Visa?

You need to demonstrate that you are in a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner. Unfortunately there is no one list that can cover your unique set of circumstances. During our Evidence Planning Session at The Partner Visa Academy, we will provide you with strategy and guidelines on what evidence you need for your particular case. The evidence required for a Partner Visa will cover the four pillars that your relationship will be assessed against.

Do I need to be married for a Partner Visa?

One of the biggest misconceptions about Partner Visas is that you need to be married. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria, you don’t have to be married to lodge a Partner Visa. In fact, we have even seen cases where getting married for the sake of a Partner Visa has backfired on the application.

Can I lodge a Partner Visa while offshore?

You can lodge a Subclass 309 Partner Visa application offshore. This visa is only for applicants who are outside Australia at time of visa application. You must ensure you meet eligibility requirements before your application is lodged.

A Subclass 300 Prospective Marriage Visa must also be lodged offshore. For an offshore Partner Visa application, you must be outside Australia both at time of application and the time of decision.

Do I get work rights on my Partner Visa?

Once your Partner Visa is granted, you will have full work rights in Australia. Depending on the location of your application and any other visa you held at time of application, you may even have work rights before a decision is made on your Partner Visa.